Where are the best dog-friendly camping destinations in NSW to go camping or stay in a cabin within 3 hours of Newcastle? There’s a growing list of places to choose from depending on your budget and camping comfort level if you want to bring your dog along on a family holiday.
Here’s a list of camping spots, caravan parks and holiday parks for dog-lovers in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, the Hunter Valley, Port Stephens, Mid-North Coast and Port Macquarie.
NRMA Stockton Beach Holiday Park
Location: Stockton, NSW
Website: NRMA Stockton Beach Holiday Park
Stockton Beach Holiday Park provides a relaxed beach holiday. It’s an ideal place for a staycation if you’re a Newcastle local. From here, stroll with your dog along the Shipwreck Walk out to the breakwater or have some off-leash fun at the Ballast Ground and Pitt St Reserve (off King Street) off-leash areas.
- Accommodation includes tent sites, van sites and a variety of villas.
- Pets are permitted in the following accommodation types: ensuite site, powered van site, powered tent site and unpowered tent site (with the exception of peak periods including Christmas and Easter).
- Pet bookings are to be made with the park and are not bookable online.
- Close to beach and harbour.
Belmont Lakeside Holiday Park
Location: Belmont, NSW
Website: Belmont Lakeside Holiday Park
Enjoy views of the lake from almost every site at this holiday park. If you are a water-lover, this is the place for you with direct access to the lake for fishing, swimming and windsurfing. Blacksmiths Beach is a 5-minute drive.
- Accommodation includes powered and unpowered tent sites, van sites, ensuite cabins, 2-bedroom cabins and 2-bedroom villas.
- Belmont Lakeside Holiday Park offers pet-friendly camping and accommodation year-round, so you can bring your four-legged friend on holiday with you.
- Swimming pool, children’s playground and recreation room.
- Boat-launching facilities.
- Free Wi-Fi.
Blacksmiths Beachside Holiday Park
Location: Blacksmiths, NSW
Website: Blacksmiths Beachside Holiday Park
A 200 metre walk to Blacksmiths Beach, this caravan park is for dog-lovers who love the beach. Whether you’re swimming or surfing at Nine Mile Beach or hanging out with little ones at Grannie’s Pool, this is a great spot for a relaxed beach holiday.
- Accommodation includes powered and unpowered tent sites, van sites, ensuite sites, 1& 2-bedroom cabins and 2-bedroom villas.
- Blacksmiths Beachside Holiday Park offers pet-friendly camping and accommodation year-round, so you can bring your four-legged friend on holiday with you.
- Solar-heated swimming pool with shallow area for little kids.
- Children’s playground with slide, swings and climbing structure.
- Free Wi-Fi and Foxtel.
Ingenia Holidays Hunter Valley
Location: Cessnock, NSW
Website: Ingenia Holidays Hunter Valley
Enjoy the best of the Hunter Valley by staying in this central location. Close to the wineries, this campground offers fun for you and your dog.
- Accommodation includes powered tent sites, cabins and 2 and 3 bedroom villas.
- Swimming pool.
- Thai restaurant on site.
- Pet-friendly camping sites and cabins available but check with park prior to booking as they are subject to availability, blackout dates and charges may apply. Contact the park directly to secure a booking.
- Close to attractions in Hunter Valley.
Coopernook Forest Park
Location: Coopernook, NSW
Website: Coopernook State Forest
Camp for free with your dog north of Taree at Coopernook Forest Park. The campsite has toilets and barbecues but you’ll need to bring your own water. Go for a stroll with your dog along the Tall Trees looped walking track, which offers the opportunity to view local bird and wildlife.
- Accommodation includes camping area and caravan / camper trailer access.
- Campground is free and no bookings are required. You’ll just need to provide contact details due to COVID-19 contact tracing requirements.
Gloucester Holiday Park
Location: Gloucester, NSW
Website: Gloucester Holiday Park
Nestled at the Gateway to the Barrington Tops, Gloucester Holiday Park is 20 acres of natural bush alongside the Gloucester River. An easy stroll to the main street of Gloucester, it is pet-friendly, however dogs must be kept on a lead and controlled at all times.
Gloucester Town Centre has some lovely cafes and boutique shops, The Common cafe is dog-friendly. Enjoy the Gloucester Boomerang Discovery Walk and the Gloucester Mosaics walk with your dog on their lead.
- Accommodation includes powered and unpowered tent and van sites, cabins and 2 bedroom cabins.
- Located near Gloucester Hydrotherapy Pool, a 50m heated pool and 15m wading pool.
- Short walk to Gloucester main street.
- Communal kitchen, free gas barbecues, fire drums for hire, firewood for sale.
- Onsite kiosk selling ice creams, sweets, bottled drinks, ice and bottled gas refills.
Lani’s Holiday Island
Location: Forster, NSW
Website: Lani’s Holiday Island
Located on Wallis Lake in the heart of the twin seaside towns of Forster and Tuncurry, Lani’s offers a variety of accommodation options. They offer a range of holiday cabin accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes and for those who choose to travel with their own caravan, motorhome or RV a choice of sites, some with their own personal bathroom.
- Accommodation includes powered grass, camping, bushland and ensuite sites, cabanas, villas, spa villas and cottages.
- Those holidaying with pets can stay in pet-friendly cabanas, pet-friendly villas and pet-friendly lodges and in the camping area at Tony’s Point.
- Pets are welcome at Lanis Holiday Island and at Tony’s Point all year round.
- Choice of two pools and children’s waders.
- Boat ramp and fish cleaning facilities.
- Playground and games room.
Reflections Holiday Park – Hawks Nest
Location: Hawks Nest, NSW
Website: Reflections Holiday Park – Hawks Nest
Enjoy a relaxed and simple beach holiday at Hawks Nest Holiday Park, located between Bennett’s Beach and the village of Hawks Nest.
- Accommodation includes powered camping and slab sites and cabins.
- Dogs are permitted at Hawks Nest Holiday Park on selected sites and cabins year round. Conditions apply and subject to Park Managers’ discretion – please call the park directly to book.
Reflections Holiday Park – Jimmys Beach
Location: Hawks Nest, NSW
Website: Reflections Holiday Park – Jimmys Beach
Located in a natural bushland setting, Jimmys Beach Holiday Park provides a variety of accommodation to chill out and relax by the water at Jimmys Beach.
- Accommodation includes powered and unpowered camping and slab sites, cabins, 2 & 3 bedroom villas and glamping beach tents.
- Dogs are permitted at Reflections Holiday Parks Jimmys Beach year round (sites only).
Reflections Holiday Park – Tuncurry Beach
Location: Tuncurry, NSW
Website: Reflections Holiday Park – Tuncurry Beach
This well-situated holiday park is 150 metres from Nine Mile Beach and 100 metres from Tuncurry Rockpool. From here, it’s a short walk to Tuncurry Bowlo and shops. It’s a great spot for water activities including swimming, surfing, fishing, diving and sailing.
- Accommodation includes powered camping and slab sites and a variety of cabin styles from standard to deluxe.
- Dogs are permitted at Reflections Holiday Parks Tuncurry Beach during Off Peak and Shoulder Seasons on sites and selected cabins. Please call the park directly to book.
- Kids playground and tennis court.
Location: Monkerai, NSW
Website: Riverwood Downs
Stay riverside with your dog at Riverwood Downs, a rural property in the foothills of the Barrington Tops. This place is super pet-friendly and there is plenty to do with dogs. On or off lead you have 750 acres to play, swim and explore, with an abundance of manicured lawns for play and walking trails to explore or just lie in the sun and relax by the beautiful mountain river.
The Barrington Bar and Grill has garden view verandah tables for guests with pets. They even have a Hound’s Breath Cafe menu that is served at the restaurant, with choices from puppaccinos to their specialty – a tasty trio of treats.
PORT MACQUARIE-HASTINGS (& NORTH)
NRMA Port Macquarie Breakwall Holiday Park
Location: Port Macquarie, NSW
Website: NRMA Port Macquarie Breakwall Holiday Park
Conveniently located near the beach, the city centre and the Hastings River, NRMA Port Macquarie Holiday Park is a great place to stay with dogs. It’s near to the many dog-friendly beaches in Port Macquarie as well as the dedicated dog parks at Henry Kendall Reserve, Blackbutt Park or Stuart Park.
- Accommodation includes tent sites, van sites and cabins.
- Pets are permitted in the following accommodation types, powered slab sites, powered sites, powered campervan/tent sites, unpowered sites and unpowered tent sites with the exception of peak periods including Christmas and Easter.
- Pet bookings are to be made with the park and are not bookable online.
NRMA South West Rocks Holiday Park
Location: South West Rocks, NSW
Website: NRMA South West Rocks Holiday Park
Stay at beautiful South West Rocks with your dog. There’s a range of dog-friendly options ranging from an Unpowered Site to the Eucalypt Cottage Three. Want a dog-friendly beach in South West Rocks? Head to Back Beach, a beach west of the city centre for you and your dog to enjoy.
- Accommodation includes tent sites, van sites, cabins and villas.
- Pets are permitted in the following accommodation types: ensuite site, grass powered site, unpowered sites, selected cabins, Hideaway Villa and Eucalypt Cottage 3, with the exception of school holidays, Christmas and Easter.
- Pet Bookings are to be made with the park and are not bookable online.
Reflections Holiday Park – Bonny Hills
Location: Bonny Hills, NSW
Website: Reflections Holiday Park Bonny Hills
It’s all about the beach at this 5 acre holiday park. It has direct access (2 minutes) to Rainbow Beach and is the perfect place for a laidback holiday.
- Accommodation includes powered camping and caravan sites, safari tents and 2 bedroom cabins.
- Dogs permitted on sites and selected cabins excluding the Christmas/New Year Period. Please call the park directly to book.
Reflections Holiday Park – North Haven
Location: North Haven, NSW
Website: Reflections Holiday Park North Haven
Want a quieter holiday? Check out this peaceful and spacious 12-acre holiday park. Close to the river and beach, it offers lots of opportunities for water-based activities.
- Accommodation includes unpowered and powered camping and caravan sites and 2 bedroom cabins.
- Dogs are permitted at Reflections Holiday Parks North Haven during Off-Peak and Shoulder Seasons (Standard Cabin & Sites only).
- Children’s playground.
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.