Want a fun day out? Go fruit picking with your family. It’s currently orange picking season on the Central Coast, just an hour south of Newcastle. Wander through the orchids at Cedar Farm at Dooranglong. There you can pick your own navel oranges for $1.50 per kilogram.
Wander through 15 acres of orchards at Cedar Farm which is home to 300 orange trees, that are mostly navel oranges. These oranges are a winter fruit and are ripe for picking from July until October. They are farm fresh and not sprayed with any chemicals.
It’s fun for the whole family to pick oranges straight from the tree. Just bring your own bags. Your kids will love roaming through the orchard, picking oranges. It’s a great excursion to show kids where their fruit comes from.
The farm is open on Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 4pm with no booking required. it’s also open every day during the July school holidays. The season is expected to last until the end of September.
When you get there, you might be greeted by the owner Jack and his dog. He’ll offer you a sample of the oranges that you’ll be picking. They are delicious and will inspire you to pick lots of oranges.
He will also offer you a Picking Stick, a stick with two nails at the top. This stick will help you pick oranges at the top of the tree by hooking the orange so you can pick it. Just be sure to catch it on the way down. The hooks come in different sizes so choose a length that’s suitable for you.
Jack also recommends heading to the back trees of the orchard to find trees laden with oranges. That’s where we head and we’re not disappointed.
There are trees full of oranges. Some we can pick straight off the tree while others require the hook implement. It’s not long until our bags are full of oranges.
There is plenty of space for social distancing in these COVID-19 times. Also, there are wide paths so you can bring strollers and wheelchairs so everyone can try fruit picking.
It’s a great family day out for the whole family including grandparents. Just be prepared to help them carry the 20 kilograms of oranges that they might pick!
You can choose different sizes of oranges depending on what your family wants to eat. We opt for a variety of orange sizes.
Once you’re done, simply bring your bags of oranges to be weighed. You’ll pay $1.50 a kilo for farm fresh oranges that you’ve personally picked.
You might even get a good bye from the resident farm dog.
Pick Your Own Oranges is highly recommended. Not only do you get a memorable family day out, but you’re also supporting local growers by buying directly from them.
Just be prepared to bring home lots of delicious tasting oranges!
- Pick Your Own Oranges Dooralong at Cedar Farm is located at 48 Dittons Road, Dooralong, 2259
- Open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday until late September. Open every day of July school holidays.
- From Newcastle region, it’s about an hour, give or take depending on what suburb you’re starting from.
- Driving directions – from the M1, proceed along Mandalong Road. Do not turn off Mandalong Road. At the Dooralong Road intersection continue straight, past the tennis courts for 800 metres, over the creek and through the orchards.
- Bathroom facilities are located at Dooralong Community Hall. Go before you arrive as there are none available on the farm.
- There is free tea available, Just BYO your own cup for COVID-19 hygiene.
- If you want to picnic in the orchard, bring a picnic rug. Otherwise, BBQ facilities available at Dooralong Community Hall (5 min away).
- Oranges are $1.50/kg. Please BYO bags. The sturdier the better as oranges get heavy.
- Cash and EFTPOS are accepted for payment.
- For safety, please drive slowly on the unsealed roads and wear closed-in footwear for fruit picking.
- Also, please supervise your kids and ensure that they don’t try to climb the orange trees.
In 2012, Reena founded Newy with Kids to share information about family-friendly Newcastle. Originally from Canada, she had no idea about what to do with her toddler and after searching unsuccessfully for a family guide, decided to start her own. Since that time, both the toddler and Newy with Kids have grown keeping Reena busy. If you see her out and about, say hi.