The days are long but the years are short! This quote perfectly sums up family life. It’s busy and hectic but them the year seem to fly past. At Newy with Kids, we’re always looking for fun family activities. One of these projects is creating a family time capsule to preserve your precious family memories.
What is a family time capsule?
A family time capsule is a box of memories to be opened sometime in the future. It’s a fun and easy family project to create a time capsule. You just need a few hours to collect and organise the items to go into the time capsule. Just imagine the smiles and reminiscing when you open it at a future date.
What to put in a family time capsule
There’s so many things that you can choose to put in a family time capsule. Choose items that have significance for your family and that you’ll enjoy reviewing when the capsule is opened at some point in the future.
Items could include:
- Family photos
- Measure of kids’ height and weight
- Kids’ handprints
- Kids’ artwork
- Current version of newspaper
- Letter to your kids from parents or grandparents
- School report
- School photo
- A lock of kids hair
- Current newspaper or magazine
- Family recipes
- A small favourite toy or keepsake
- A letter to your future self
- A letter to your kids for when they open the time capsule
- A piece of baby or kids clothing – so they can see how much they’ve grown
- Photocopy of grocery shopping receipt (receipt paper fades super quick)
- Tickets from a recent family event e.g. Kids concert, movie tickets, sports event
- A questionnaire of your favorites (and least favorites!) for each member of the family like food, movies, songs, etc.
- Coins and/or stamps issued that year
However, there’s a few things to remember. Firstly, choose quality paper or archival grade paper to record for your letters, questionnaire and recipes so they don’t fade or disintegrate. Also, print your photos on photographic paper. You can also have other family members like grandparents, aunts and uncles contribute items to the family time capsule.
Where to store the family time capsule
Now you have to decide where to store the capsule. You can bury it underground in a metal container but you’ll need to have a strong impermeable container which can resist moisture, bugs, etc.
It might be better to store the time capsule in an attic, garage, shed or storage room. If you decide to store it inside, you could store the time capsule in a sturdy paper or plastic box or even an old suitcase.
When to open the family time capsule
Deciding how long you want to store the time capsule is another decision. Five years, ten years, or even 20 years?
It’s entirely up to you. You could pick a specific date or even a family milestone like a significant birthday, wedding anniversary or a child’s graduation day as the date when you want to open the time capsule.
Make sure you mark the date on the container. E.g. “Do not open until [DATE] and store it in a safe place but not too safe that you forget about it.
As for opening the time capsule, make it a special event and enjoy revisiting your treasured family moments.
Want more ideas for preserving your precious family history, read 7 Easy Ways to Record Your Family History.