The price of fuel is at an all-time high as you’ve probably noticed when you go to fill up your car with petrol. If you’re like many families, you need a car to drive to childcare, school, work, playgrounds as well as other family activities. If you’re looking to cut costs, here are some tips on how to save money on fuel as well as other tips to reduce your car expenses.
- Keep your car tyres pumped up both for better fuel economy and for safety.
- Get a regular car service as this can affect your fuel efficiency.
- Avoid rapid acceleration off the lights as it makes the engine work harder and uses more fuel. You’re better off maintaining a steady speed to make your car fuel efficient.
- Avoid excessive idling. If you’re waiting at school pickup, turn your car off to save fuel.
- Find the cheapest petrol and fill up petrol on a low price day. Use Motor Mouth website or app to find cheaper prices
- If you do a lot of driving, sign up for a Costco membership. The price for fuel is much cheaper but only available to members. Even if you don’t shop for groceries at the warehouse, you’ll save a significant amount on filling your car to justify the annual membership.
- If you have NRMA membership, use their app and save 3 cents per litre on regular fuel and 5 cents per litre on Premium fuel at participating Ampol and Caltex branded service stations across Australia. You’ll need to show the QR code on your app.
- If you shop at Woolworths or Coles, use the fuel coupons on your receipt when you fill up at one of their associated garages.
- You can also save money on your fuel by purchasing a discounted WISH gift card through NRMA. Save 3% on the purchase of the gift card you can use at Caltex Woolworths.
- If you or someone you know has a Seniors Card, they can purchase a Woolworths WISH eGift Card at a 5% discount. Choose a value from $5 to maximum value of $500.
- Combine trips to reduce petrol use. Go shopping, run errands or attend appointments in one trip.
- If you’re driving to work, see if you can carpool with a coworker.
- If you do a lot of driving ferrying kids back and forth to sports practice and games, see if you can carpool or take turns driving each other kids.
- Reduce heavy gear from your car that you don’t need. According to the NRMA, extra weight in your car increases the consumption of fuel especially in cities when you’re accelerating and breaking.
- Remove your roof rack if you’re not using it as it increases your car’s wind resistance. This impacts on your car’s aerodynamic performance which affects your fuel efficiency.
- If you’re travelling on a long journey, check the NRMA App to see what towns or regions sell petrol at a lower or higher price.
- If it’s possible, walk, cycle or take public transport where you need to go.
- To reduce your car insurance, call up your current insurer and find out if you can receive a discount. Often if you garage your vehicle or have multiple policies with the same insurer, you can get a discount.
- Wash, vacuum and detail your car at home instead of paying to get it professionally done.
Want more tips on saving money? Check out our guide Money Saving Tips: 250+ Ideas to Cut Your Spending & Make Your Money Go Further.
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.