Thinking of going to the 2019 Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens? Read this first to save money and get the best tips for a family night out!
Blindingly dazzling is the best way to describe the more than 2 million lights of the Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens. This light and music extravaganza, the largest in the Southern Hemisphere is truly stunning and is a surefire way to get the whole family into the Christmas spirit.
Newy with Kids has been attending Christmas Lights Spectacular for the past few years. It’s definitely better now with a different layout and an earlier opening time for the displays. The Gardens open at 5:30pm with immediate access to the Christmas displays. Previously, you had to wait until dusk, which was problematic when you have young kids in tow.
The Christmas Lights Spectacular is back for 2019 with over 20 different themed lights area including Candyland, Princess Castle and Around the World. Get there early for food, entertainment and rides. This year, Christmas Lights Spectacular also has three beautiful and permanent rides to the line-up for visitors to enjoy. These include a Ferris Wheel, Venetian Carousel and Swing Chair.
The fun inflatable zone will make a return this year giving children even more opportunities to jump, bounce and race. Visitors can enjoy playing on an exciting range of inflatables, jumping castles and the incredible 35 metre long Super Slide (additional fees apply for some rides).
There’s food stalls selling snacks and drinks as well as photos with Santa available for purchase in Santa’s Cave. To entertain kids, the Little Scallywagz featuring the characters J-J and Cha-Cha put on an entertaining show. There’s also roaming entertainment including carolers, magicians and other characters.
Stop by Santa’s Workshop which includes animatronic figures of Santa, Mrs Claus, the elves and reindeer. There’s paper supplied so kids can write a letter to Santa and mail it to him in a special Santa Claus postbox.
This year features lots of different displays over 13 hectares including the Nativity scene, Australian animals, Candyland, North Pole and Fairy Garden and lots of Christmas trees.
A family favourite is the 12 Days of Christmas music and light display in the Border Garden. Spend some time here watching the images light up while singing along with everyone else to this much loved Christmas carol.
There’s also the ‘Around The World’ themed area which includes iconic landmarks from around the world such as the Eiffel Tower, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House, London’s Big Ben, Coliseum and the Statue of Liberty.
New this year is Lover’s Corner, a newly created experience for those who want to celebrate their love this merry season. Guests can take a stroll through a heart tunnel and enjoy a kiss under the mistletoe with their sweetheart.
Families wanting a Northern Hemisphere Christmas will enjoy the White Christmas scene with white treetops, a snow cave and arctic. For an extra magical touch, walk through the new light tunnels and be immersed in hundreds of lights as you wander through.
The Mega Trees with their synchronised lights and sounds are always fun. The music just makes you move.
If your family loves Christmas lights, then the Christmas Lights Spectacular is the place to be. With over 2 million lights in a variety of displays, it’s a stunning Christmas attraction. Just be prepared for a long walk and crowds if you go on a busy day!
The Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens at Pokolbin runs from Friday 8 November to Sunday 26 January 2020 except Christmas Day
The Gardens open for Christmas lights viewing at 5:30pm and close at 10pm.
2019 Christmas Lights Spectacular tickets are on sale now:
Children (4-15 yrs) $25
Children (3 yrs & under) FREE
Family (2 Adults + 1 Child) $79
Family (2 Adults + 2 Child) $99
Family Pass Extra Child $22
Wristbands (Unlimited Rides*) – TBA
*Ride Tokens $TBA – *Rides are user pay and height restrictions apply.
DAY & NIGHT
You can also buy combo tickets so you can explore Hunter Valley Gardens during the day.
Day & Night Family (2 Adults + 1 Child) – $119
Day & Night Family (2 Adults + 2 Child) – $149
Day & Night Adult – $47
Day & Night Child – $38
Want to save money? Use your Entertainment Book coupon for 2 for 1 entry to the Christmas Lights Spectacular. Only accepted in person, not for online prepaid ticket
For more details on tickets and program, visit the Hunter Valley Gardens website.
Here are my tips for a great visit.
- If you can visit on a day other than Friday or Saturday, do so. The crowds are larger on the weekends with lots of people traveling from Sydney, the Central Coast and elsewhere to view the lights.
- Check the HVG Facebook page before you set out to Hunter Valley Gardens to avoid disappointment. If there is adverse weather, the Christmas Lights Spectacular will be cancelled, sometimes on short notice!
- The ticket line is separated into Prepaid Tickets and Regular Ticket Line paying with Cash/EFTPOS. Prepare for a wait on busy nights.
- Bring mozzie spray in case the mosquitoes are biting. Cessnock Lions also have mozzie spray available for a donation.
- Bring the pram or stroller if you’re not sure that your young child will be able to walk for the whole time. The Christmas Light Spectacular covers a large area – 20 acres in fact. Comfortable shoes are a must for everyone.
- Bring another layer of clothing as it can get a bit cool at night.
- Take your time and enjoy all of the lights. It’s a wonderful event that the whole family will enjoy.
- Use your Entertainment Book coupon for 2 for 1 entry to the Christmas Lights Spectacular.
- If you don’t want to purchase food at Hunter Valley Gardens, bring a picnic and eat it outside of the Gardens. There’s a picnic area as you come into the Hunter Valley Gardens complex from the highway. You cannot bring food into the Garden.
- Prepare for possible traffic snarls when you leave the Gardens. One year, we waited for 15 minutes as a queue of coaches picking up passengers were blocking the exit. Be patient and the volunteers will advise you how to get out.
Disclaimer: Newy with Kids has previously received free entry to Hunter Valley Gardens for review purposes. All opinions are our own.
Want more ideas for Christmas fun including family-friendly Christmas events in Newcastle and the Hunter? Visit the Newy with Kids Guide to Christmas
Latest posts by Newy with Kids (see all)
- Celebrating Christmas 2019 in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & the Hunter - November 9, 2019
- Enjoy Newcastle during the Newcastle 500 Supercars Event - November 6, 2019
- Foamy Family Fun at the 5K Foam Fest - November 6, 2019