Thinking of going to the 2020 Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens? Read this first to save time and money and get the best tips for a family night out!
Blindingly dazzling is the best way to describe the more than 3 million lights of the Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens. This light and music extravaganza, the largest in the Southern Hemisphere is truly stunning and is a surefire way to get the whole family into the Christmas spirit.
Newy with Kids has been attending Christmas Lights Spectacular for the past few years.
However, due to COVID-19, the Christmas Lights Spectacular will be slightly different. You’ll need to book ahead for a ticket as there are limited numbers. Due to the fluid nature of the current COVID conditions, Christmas Lights Spectacular tickets are being offered in staged releases with 5th – 30th November tickets on sale now. December / January tickets will be available from mid-November. All guests must have their own tickets including children under 3, please ensure your booking includes all members of your group.
Entertainment & Rides
The Christmas Lights Spectacular is back for 2020 with over 20 different themed lights area including Candyland, Princess Castle and Around the World. Get there when it opens at 6:30pm for food and rides. You can purchase food and beverages at the HVG Marquee and the food stalls located in the event area.
This year, Christmas Lights Spectacular also has three beautiful and permanent rides to the line-up for visitors to enjoy. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, they will only be operating the Ferris Wheel, Venetian Carousel and the all new Tea Cup rides during Christmas Lights.
Christmas Lights Displays
This year features lots of different displays over 13 hectares including the Nativity scene, Australian animals, Candy Land, North Pole and Fairy Garden and Mega Christmas trees.
A family favourite is the 12 Days of Christmas music and light display in the Border Garden. Spend some time here watching the images light up while singing along with everyone else to this much loved Christmas carol.
There’s also the ‘Around The World’ themed area which includes iconic landmarks from around the world such as the Eiffel Tower, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House, London’s Big Ben, Coliseum and the Statue of Liberty.
Popular last year is Lover’s Corner, a newly created experience for those who want to celebrate their love this merry season. Guests can take a stroll through a heart tunnel and enjoy a kiss under the mistletoe with their sweetheart.
For an extra magical touch, walk through the new light tunnels and be immersed in hundreds of lights as you wander through.
The Mega Trees with their synchronised lights and sounds are always fun. The music just makes you move.
If your family loves Christmas lights, then the Christmas Lights Spectacular is the place to be. With over 3 million lights in a variety of displays, it’s a stunning Christmas attraction.
The Christmas Lights Spectacular at Hunter Valley Gardens at Pokolbin runs from Thursday 5 November to Sunday 26 January 2021 except Christmas Day
The Gardens open for Christmas lights viewing at 5:30pm and close at 10pm.
What does it cost for Hunter Valley Garden Christmas Lights Spectacular?
2020 Christmas Lights Spectacular tickets are on sale now
Children (4-15 yrs) $25
Children (3 yrs & under) FREE
Family (2 Adults + 1 Child) $79
Family (2 Adults + 2 Child) $99
Family Pass Extra Child $22
Wristbands (Unlimited Rides*) – $15
*Ride Tokens $6 – *Rides are user pay and height restrictions apply.
For more details on tickets and program, visit the Hunter Valley Gardens website.
Top Tips for a Visit to Hunter Valley Gardens Christmas Lights Spectacular
Here are our tips for a great visit.
- Book online for tickets. There will be no ticket purchase onsite. November tickets on sale now. December / January tickets will be available from mid-November.
- If you can visit on a day other than Friday or Saturday, do so. The crowds are larger on the weekends with lots of people travelling from Sydney, the Central Coast and elsewhere to view the lights.
- Check the weather forecast before booking a ticket to avoid disappointment. If there is adverse weather like storms, heavy rain or lightning, the Christmas Lights Spectacular will be cancelled. Check the Facebook page for the latest updates.
- Bring mozzie spray in case the mosquitoes are biting.
- Bring the pram or stroller if you’re not sure that your young child will be able to walk for the whole time. The Christmas Light Spectacular covers a large area – 20 acres in fact. Comfortable shoes are a must for everyone.
- Bring another layer of clothing as it can get a bit cool at night.
- Take your time and enjoy all of the lights. It’s a wonderful event that the whole family will enjoy.
- If you don’t want to purchase food at Hunter Valley Gardens, bring a picnic and eat it outside of the Gardens. It’s a fun low-cost family food option and saves you spending money buying food in Hunter Valley Gardens. There is a picnic and play area as you come into the Hunter Valley Gardens complex from the highway. You cannot bring food into the Garden.
- Prepare for possible traffic snarls when you leave the Gardens. One year, we waited for 15 minutes as a queue of coaches picking up passengers were blocking the exit. Be patient and the volunteers will advise you how to get out.
Disclaimer: Newy with Kids has previously received free entry to Hunter Valley Gardens for review purposes. All opinions are our own.
Want more ideas for Christmas fun including family-friendly Christmas events in Newcastle and the Hunter? Visit the Newy with Kids Guide to Christmas
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.