Need a break in the home-schooling routine whilst surviving this round of Newcastle Lockdown? Grab the kids, look in the fridge and pantry and get creative making these DIY face and body treatments that will have you all feeling relaxed and pampered in no time (or at the very least, fill in an hour of the day with some messy fun!)
Chocolate Face Mask
This facemask is full of antioxidants to enrich your skin and will leave it feeling soft and supple. It’s also a bit like chocolate face paint so the kids will love it!
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 sliced cucumber
- Face washers or towels
- Mix together the cocoa, yogurt and honey.
- Apply the mask to your face with a clean paint brush or spoon and be careful to avoid your eyes.
- Place two sliced cucumber pieces on your eyes.
- Lay back on a towel and let the mask soak in for 10 minutes or as long as your child will allow, before rinsing off with warm water and a towel.
Tingly Mint Foot Scrub
Most people have some Epsom salts in the bathroom cupboard – it reduces stress and relaxes the body and mixing it with some minty mouthwash, and you have a fresh smelling scrub for your little one’s tootsies!
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- ¼ cup Listerine or mint flavoured mouth wash
- Measure the Epsom salts into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mouthwash and mix with a spoon.
- Set up a mini spa with a large tub or bowl of warm water and soak your child’s feet in the water.
- Gently scrub each foot with the minty mixture, then rinse off with the warm water.
Body Sugar Scrub
There’s nothing like a long bath at the end of the day to soak away any worries that might be simmering away. The best bit? All the ingredients in this easy to make scrub are in your kitchen pantry!
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2-4 drops of yellow or red food colouring
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil or vanilla extract
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 20 seconds in a heat proof bowl.
- Pour the sugar into the melted oil.
- Add the food colouring.
- Add the essential oil or vanilla extract for a smelly treat!
- Rub all over your child’s arms and legs and back for a gentle, sweet smelling scrub in the bath.
- Store your scrub in a clean glass jar. You can even make this and give it to friends.
Strawberry and Oat Exfoliating Mask
A yummy sensory activity, this fun face mask is good enough to eat! You’ll need to make this one fresh and use it straight away for bright, clean skin. The oats make a great gentle exfoliator and strawberries are packed with antioxidants and mashing them together is every kids dream!
- ½ cup organic ground oats
- 3 large ripe strawberries
- Warm water to mix
- Pour the oats into a bowl and add a few tablespoons of warm water and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- Add the washed strawberries and mash together with a fork.
- Apply to the face and leave on for as long as your child will allow!
- Wash off with a warm washer.
Want more ideas for family fun?
When Odette Tonkin isn’t writing, she’s chasing after her four kids on their Newcastle urban acreage, surrounded by her veggie garden, chooks and bees! Odette has worked as a newsreader, public relations officer and spent over ten years as a writer and editor at Pacific Magazines, writing for a bunch of magazines including TV Hits, Girlfriend, K-Zone, Total Girl, New Idea and Famous.