Do you know about the $180 NSW Family Energy Rebate? Get some help paying your electricity bill with a credit from your energy retailer. Applications are open for the 2021 – 2022 Energy Rebate and you can apply for the family energy rebate online.
What is the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
The Family Energy Rebate (FER) is a NSW government scheme which helps NSW family households with dependent children to cover the costs of their energy bills. The FER is available to applicants who were eligible for and received the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) from the Department of Human Services (DHS) in the previous financial year.
How much is the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
The Family Energy Rebate provides:
- $180 a year to eligible customers that do not hold a DHS Concession Card or Health Care Card; or,
- $285 a year a year to eligible customers that hold a DHS Concession Card or Health Care and also qualify for the Low Income Household Rebate.
To be eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate in a given financial year, you must:
- be a NSW resident
- be the account holder of an energy retailer
- have been the recipient of the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for the previous financial year and have had your entitlement to the FTB payments finalised by Centrelink.
- ensure the person in your household who’s registered as the FTB recipient lodges the application. The recipient is the person who receives correspondence on FTB from Services Australia.B recipient, lodges the application. The recipient is the person who receives correspondence on FTB from Services Australia.
Before you apply you’ll need to have:
- lodged your tax return for the last financial year with the Australian Taxation Office. If you or your partner didn’t need to lodge a tax return, notify Services Australia of this. They cannot finalise your FTB until they have this information.
- received a confirmation letter from Services Australia that your FTB has been finalised for the last financial year.
How do I apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
You first need to check your eligibility on the website. Once you determine you’re eligible to receive the rebate, it’s an easy process. You can complete an application online in just a few minutes if you have a recent energy bill handy. This form is accessible from an internet-connected desktop computer, smartphone or tablet. Your application begins processing the moment you submit it. You’ll need your contact details, your most recent electricity bill and your Customer Reference Number issued to you by the Commonwealth Department of Human Services (DHS). Your CRN is listed on the top left-hand side of the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) correspondence you receive from DHS.
USEFUL TIP: When you apply for the Family Energy Rebate online, you’ll immediately receive an email confirming your application. Keep this email for the following year as you can use all of the information to reapply without having to search for the information again.
When do I receive the NSW Family Energy Rebate?
Your rebate will appear as a credit on your electricity bill once, for each financial year. When the credit appears on your electricity bill will depend on the billing cycle of your electricity retailer, after your application for the Family Energy Rebate has been approved.
You can also download a paper application form and submit it by email or post to NSW Resources and Energy.
Application Submission Deadline: The 2021-22 Family Energy Rebate will close at 11pm on 30 June 2022.
For more information, visit the NSW Government website.
You might also like:
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.