It may be cold outside, but there’s a winter wonderland of activities provided by City of Newcastle this July holidays. Whether your kids are interested in art, books, science, movies, or being outdoors, there’s something for everyone.
Visit any of the local libraries during these holidays. There are plenty of fun activities at all of them.
- Various Story Stomp storytimes for children ages 3-7
- Spooky Tales at night- Come along in your PJ’s to enjoy stories that are just a little bit scary Ages 3-7
- Paper planes- Join in for some serious folding and fun. Can your plane can fly the furthest? Ages 5-12
- The Great Lego ® Challenge is on again! Will you be a Lego Master? Ages 5-12.
Map making with Liz Anelli
Try your hand at our exhibition treasure hunt and then join award winning illustrator Liz Anelli to develop your own city map, complete with model buildings. What will you add? More footy fields? A castle? A space station? Ages 8-12
BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL: visit newcastle.nsw.gov.au for more information
Newcastle Art Gallery
Newcastle Art Gallery has a range of activites for children aged 5-12 olds inspired by current exhibitions.
- Tissue Paper Painting- Children will learn about the Skyspace Series with Gallery educators before drawing geometric shapes and learning to paint with tissue paper to produce colourful blended artworks.
- Sculpture- Using pieces of cardboard and oil pastels, children will learn about James Drinkwater inspired sculptural practice from Gallery educators then create abstract sculptures that relate to important people and places in their own lives.
- Art Cart engages children with the exhibitions on display through discussion and art making. Led by Gallery educators, every weekend we interact with a different work of art on display.
Drop by the Newcastle Museum this holiday to join in the fun activities.
- SPY: Espionage in Australia- Become a top-secret agent and solve the mysteries at our new family friendly exhibition. Explore special spy equipment and test your skills at codebreaking and reading invisible ink.
- Science Shows: Shake & Quake- Find out why there is custard inside the Earth, learn about how rocks can fold, snap, melt and explode, and have some fun with liquid nitrogen as we explore volcanoes and earthquakes these school holidays.
- Detectives Table- Get hands on and delve deeper into the secret life of a spy at our activity table. Learn the tricks of the trade and become an official Museum Detective!
Reptile Show Get to know Blackbutt’s residents during a reptile show in the Wildlife Arena, learn interesting facts about our reptiles. Tickets are $3pp available at the Kiosk on the day. Open every day during the school holidays 10am – 5pm. Reptile Show held at 11am daily.
Crafty Creatures Come along and make your favourite clay creature in the Wildlife Arena. Tickets are $3pp, available at the Kiosk on the day. Monday to Friday in school holidays; 2 sessions, 12.30pm & 1.00pm