Planning a spring picnic? Our friends at No Money No Time website, created by the University of Newcastle have put together a collection of their favourite springtime, picnic perfect recipes.
It’s the perfect accompaniment to our articles about local picnic spots organised by LGA:
- Best Picnic Spots in Lake Macquarie LGA to Meet Up With Friends
- Best Picnic Spots in Newcastle LGA to Meet Up With Friends
- Best Picnic Spots in Maitland LGA to Meet Up With Friends
- Best Picnic Spots in Cessnock LGA to Meet Up With Friends
The ebook is full of healthy recipes covering dips, light meals, wraps, dessert and even drinks. They are all easy, affordable, and can be served chilled.
We love the look of the sweet potato and zucchini fritters especially paired with the apple and carrot slaw. To wash it down, whip up a batch of elderflower and cucumber mocktail.
All that’s left to do is call your friends, choose which dish you’ll bring along, and organise that long awaited gathering. Remember to adhere to COVID regulations and to slip, slop, slap while you’re soaking up that vitamin D!
The team at No Money No Time have also provided their best picnic tips
- Save your money and the planet, and invest in some reusable picnic ware. Buy individual plates and cutlery from variety shops or splurge on a fancy picnic set.
- It’s super important to keep your food chilled, no one wants to end the perfect catch up with a bout of salmonella! If you don’t have an esky don’t worry, supermarket cooler bags will do the job. If you don’t have ice bricks, fill some zip lock bags with water and freeze (just make sure they are sealed properly).
- Keep those summer pests at bay with a food cover. Find them in the food storage sections of most supermarkets or otherwise a cotton tea towel will do the trick – just make sure it is clean!
- No one likes cleaning out spills and leftover food scraps after a long day of lazing in the sun. Always carry a plastic bag for your rubbish and another to put all of your dirty plates and cutlery in – trust us on this!
It’s filled with fantastic recipes to feed the whole family while enjoying the fresh air!
You can also find fast, easy and affordable recipe suggestions, as well as the Healthy Eating Quiz on No Money No Time website.
You might also be interested in:
- Tips for a Healthy Kids Lunch Box (Plus 5 Days of Lunches + Recipes) article by No Money No Time
- 4 Reasons Why You’re Craving Comfort Food This Winter – Plus a Winter Warmers eBook by No Money No Time
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.