Discover the exciting world of health, science and medical research at the Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI) 2019 Open Day on Friday 11 October. The event is more fun than the name suggests!
It’s a day of fun and education where you can meet the researchers and find out all about the work happening behind the scenes.
The event is filled with interesting and engaging things for kids and teenagers to do including Kids Science Sessions and activities, Science Meets Fiction talk, and laboratory tours.
This year’s schedule is packed with fun for families. They can:
- Join in the Interactive Kids Science Sessions
- Journey through the amazing Brain Exhibit
- Discover gross things exploring Blood & Guts Central
- Learn all about gut health in the Poo Palace
- Participate in Labratory tours
- Take part in Science Experiments & Challenges
- Become a HMRI Scientist for the Day
- Sign up for the Girls in STEM program
- Come along to the Science Fact Meets Science Fiction talk – The Weird & Wonderful World of Wounds
- Listen to Research & Discovery Public Seminars
For extra fun, kids can complete a series of fun science challenges on the day and be awarded a real researcher lanyard and get a photo with the HRMI mad scientist in the photo booth.
Newy with Kids visited last year and was impressed with the range of hands-on and interactive displays that families could do. Be prepared for long waits though. Last year, the event was really popular resulting in long waits for the shuttle bus from McDonald Jones stadium, Poo Palace and other popular exhibits.
The event is free but registrations are required. For more information and / or to book, visit the HRMI website.
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.