Are you ready to improve your daughters’ physical activity levels, sport skills, social-emotional wellbeing and spend quality time together?
The award-winning Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered program (formerly known as DADEE) is looking for dads who wants to spend quality time with their primary school-aged daughters (K – 6) participating in fun physical activities, whilst learning how to improve her sport skills, confidence, self-esteem and resilience. They have recently added a Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered Weekender program, as well as Daughters and Dads Basketball and Daughters and Dads Cricket programs.
Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered run by The University of Newcastle is an award-winning, community-based program, which engages fathers in positive lifestyle role modelling and effective parenting strategies to improve the physical activity behaviours, physical confidence, sport skills and social-emotional wellbeing of their daughters.
Importantly, Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered also targets girls to improve the fitness and physical activity levels, and parenting skills of their fathers.
The Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered Classic program:
- One initial ‘dads/father figure only’ 2 hour information session, followed by eight weekly 90 minute sessions for daughters and their dads/father figures. (slight variation to this format at some locations).
- Each week involves a short theory session focusing on ways to build confidence, self-esteem and resilience in girls followed by a practical session focusing on fun rough and tumble play, fitness and sport skill activities
- The emphasis is on fun and the program caters for all physical activity and skill levels
- Daughters and dads receive a program t-shirt and drink bottle
- The program is free for participants
The Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered Weekender NSW-wide program:
- Involves a two-night weekend stay at a Sport and Recreation Centre. Each dad and their daughter have their own room at the scenic centre and your stay includes all outdoor recreation activities and meals.
- Participants complete elements of the Classic Daughters and Dads program over the weekend combined with some traditional camp adventure activities like kayaking and archery.
- Includes fun practical sessions focus on rough and tumble play, sport skills, and fitness.
- Includes theory sessions focusing on building confidence, self-esteem, and resilience in girls.
- The emphasis is on fun and the program caters for all physical activity and skill levels.
- Daughters and Dads both receive a program t-shirt and drink bottle.
- The program costs $208 for dads and $153 for daughters and includes accommodation, all meals and activities (Milson Island has an additional ferry cost).
The Daughters and Dads Basketball Program:
- Is aimed at girls 5-12 years old who are new to basketball.
- Provides intensive coaching and skills practice for girls with dads as their ‘personal’ coaches.
- Provides girls with the knowledge of the game.
- Provides fathers with key parenting and coaching skills to improve their daughters’ skills and engagement in basketball.
- Is an evidence-based program that targets girls’ social-emotional skills (e.g., resilience, persistence, bravery).
- Strategies to empower girls to be aware of gender prejudice and overcome barriers using critical thinking and the support of their dads.
- An innovative home program that targets social-emotional skills, father-daughter bonding, basketball skills practice and a host of engaging and educational basketball-related activities.
The Daughters and Dads Cricket Program:
- Includes 1 x 90 minute ‘POWERplay’ information workshop before the Daughters & Dads sessions commence. Here they learn about the program rationale and structure, the unique and powerful influence of fathers on their daughters, restrictive gender biases which can limit girls’ participation in sport and key strategies to engage their daughter in cricket.
- 8 x 90-minute Daughters and Dads weekly sessions, learning about the game of cricket, being inspired by female cricket superstars, addressing barriers to girls’ participation in cricket, and learning key cricket skills of batting, bowling and fielding.
Find more information on 2022 dates and program registration here. Limited spots available so register soon to avoid disappointment.
For more information visit the Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered website.
Started in late 2012 by a local mum, Newy with Kids has grown into a thriving go-to family guide for the Newcastle, Lake Macquarie & Hunter region. Parents visit the Newy with Kids website to find things to do with babies, kids and teens. Whether it’s local attractions, upcoming events, kids eat free, school holiday activities or birthday party ideas, Newy with Kids is the best website for local parents to find local kid-friendly activities and information 24/7.