Let your imagination run wild with City of Newcastle’s school holidays program. There are activities for all ages at venues across the city.
Newcastle Art Gallery
Featured exhibitions: FLORIBUNDA & SODEISHA
The Newcastle Art Gallery has workshops for 5 to 12 year olds inspired by the current exhibitions.
School holiday activities 5 to 12 year olds include:
- Papier Mache Flowerpots workshop – Inspired by the FLORIBUNDA exhibition, kids can decorate their very own papier mache flowerpot in the first week of the holidays.
- Clay Nest workshop – Taking inspiration from SODEISHA ceramic works and the sculpture garden, children will sculpt a nest out of clay in the second week of the holidays.
- Art Cart every Saturday and Sunday morning.
For more information and to book holiday sessions, visit Newcastle Art Gallery website.
Have fun at Newcastle Museum during the holidays with activities reflecting current exhibitions.
School holiday activities include:
- Pop-up Garden Craft – Help raise awareness of our local endangered flora and contribute to our craft garden installation inspired by the exhibition Flora of the Hunter Region. Free and no bookings required.
- Flora & Photographs Workshop – Kids aged 5 – 12 can join in the fun as they combine flora and photography to create cyanotype blue prints. They can learn about traditional photography methods and create their very own Flora photographic work of art to take home. $10. Bookings required.
- Museum Whodunit Science Shows on Tuesday 16 & 23 April and Thursday 18 April at 11:15am, 12:15pm and 1:15pm. These school holidays it’s the science of crime! Examine the clues, dust for fingerprints and extract DNA in “Museum Whodunnit – The Case of the Missing Brain”. Will you solve the mystery? Free and no bookings necessary but shows fill up fast.
- Illustrators Alive Exhibit – A live exhibit of natural history illustrators at Newcastle Museum. Get up close with natural history illustrators and see the magic behind the creation of their
drawings. Watch as they develop precise detail to capture scientific drawings.
Newcastle Museum is open every day during the school holidays from 10am – 5pm but closed on Good Friday. For more information and to book holiday sessions, visit Newcastle Museum website.
Newcastle Region Library
There’s loads of fun at Newcastle Region Library during the April school holidays
- Variety of Story Stomp storytimes for kids aged 3 to 7 at different branches.
- Makey Makey sessions – kids 8 to 13 can get creative with simple circuits.
- Lego ® Mindstorm EV3 sessions – kids 9 to 13 can create and code thier own Mindstorm vehicle.
- Creative Lego ® Challenge – kids 5 tp 12 can have fun making LEGO creations
- Family movies on Friday evenings at Wallsend and Newcastle Libraries. Films include The Wizard of Ozand Up.
Attend a special book launch and dog picnicon Tuesday 16 April in Lambton Park. Join children’s book author Katrina McKelvey and illustrator Cheri Hughes to celebrate the launch of ‘No Baths Week’ in conjunction with Newcastle Region Library. Enjoy stories, craft, singing, book signings, paw printing and more. Bring your dog, your children, doggy bags, and a picnic. Prizes and giveaways for dogs and humans.
Bookings required. For more information and to book holiday sessions, visit City of Newcastle website.
If you have Treehouse fans in your house, check out The Many Story Treehouse exhibition on at Lovett Gallery above Newcastle Region Library. It’s filled with many of Terry Denton’s original illustrations, sketches and layouts showing the development of crazy ideas, characters and stories for The Treehouse series developed with his friend, author Andy Griffiths. The exhibition is on until Saturday 27 April. Lovett Gallery is open from 9:30am – 8pm on Monday to Wednesday, 9:30am – 5pm on Thursday & Friday and 9:30am – 2pm on Saturday.
Here’s some school holidays activities at Blackbutt Reserve.
- Fantastic Phasmids school holiday fun. Visit Blackbutt and make a stick insect and receive an animal replica. 2 sessions 12:30pm & 1pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays). $5 per child. Pay at kiosk on the day.
- Reptile Show – weekends and school holiday at 11am for $3 per person – not available public holidays and staff development days – no bookings required.
- Feeding times – every day except for Good Friday and Anzac Day (as animal exhibits closed) – free – 10.30am Wombats / 10.45am bird brunch / 1.30pm Nocturnal animals / 2pm Koalas.