Planning a kids birthday party? Here’s a mega list of party venues in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and the Hunter as well as ideas for birthday parties at home.
97 Ideas for a Kids Birthday Party in Newcastle & the Hunter
Animal and Nature Parties
- Blackbutt Reserve – hire a shelter and a private critter show for the kids at the Carnley Avenue park entrance.
- Hunter Valley Zoo – with hands-on, interactive animal experiences, daily shows and fun relaxed atmosphere, Hunter Valley Zoo is a great spot for an animal-themed party.
- Wildlife party at Hunter Wetlands Centre – Celebrate your birthday at the Hunter Wetlands Centre Australia. Kids can explore the Wetlands with a own guide and try dipnetting and return to a party room decorated with birthday decor.
- Irukandji Shark and Ray Encounter – enjoy a shark-themed birthday party with an in-water experience.
- Party at Oakvale Farm – The farm offers a hands on experience with a variety of wildlife. Kids can get up close to friendly resident reptiles, pat a koala and hand feed free range kangaroos.
- Purple Pear Farm – hold your kids party at Purple Pear Farm, an organic working farm with animals for kids to feed and pet. Included are farm walks, animal feeding, stories, a craft activity and a small take home gift.
- Whitethorn Academy – book a pony party in Maitland Vale.
Art, Crafts and Drama
- The Art House – An art party is a unique way for your child to celebrate and create masterpieces with friends.
Regional Art Gallery – Book an art party for your creative kids. Each party is led by a qualified art tutor and includes themed art activities, party bags, decorations, lots of fun.NO LONGER OFFERING ART PARTIES Maritime Centre – Ahoy mateys! It’s a Pirate School birthday party.NOW CLOSED
At the Movies
- Hoyts Charlestown – Enjoy the movies with an organised kids birthday party.
- Do a DIY movie party by taking a small group of kids to a movie at Reading Cinemas Charlestown or Event Cinemas Glendale and Kotara. (Some readers have purchased Charlestown Square Kids Entertainment Passes for an all-day birthday party comprising of a movie, bowling or laser tag and Megamania).
Bounce and Flip Parties
- Flip Out Newcastle in Maryvile – Flip out with a trampoline party.
- Inflatable World in Warners Bay- let the kids bounce around on inflatables.
- Springloaded /Gateshead Indoor Sportsworld – Choose from a trampoline party or gymnastics party or combine them both.
Bowling & Laser Tag
- Red Alert Laser Tag – offer different party packages for birthdays in Warners Bay and Beresfield.
- Play Battlezone Playlive laser skirmish at Maitland Gaol.
- STRIKE in Charlestown – Book from bowling, karaoke, laser tag or combine in a mega party.
- Superstrike – Choose from traditional or cosmic bowling in Maitland, Mayfield, Salamander Bay and Warners Bay.
Indoor Play Centres
Lollipops Playland & Cafe in Gateshead – Choose from three party packages to suit your needs. There’s a special birthday party rate from Monday to Friday.NOW CLOSED
- Megamania at Charlestown Square- With several themed party packages, kids will have fun in this indoor play centre.
- Play 4 Kids in Rutherford – With different catering packages and themed party rooms, you can customise your birthday party.
- Arnolds at the Junction – With an indoor pool, have a swim party here.
- The Forum – Enjoy a kids pool party with a 20 metre inflatable obstacle course.
- Lake Macquarie Swim Centres – The aquatic challenger will provide heaps of water fun for kids at Speers Point Pool, West Wallsend Pool, Charlestown Pool and Swansea Pool.
- Lane 4 Aquatics – Splash around with a pool party at Lambton Pool and Stockton Pool.
- Merewether Baths – Organise a beachy party at Merewether Baths and set up in the undercover area of the red amenities area (underneath the Merewether lettering). There’s also covered picnic shelters closer to the baths as well.
- Valentine Pool – can also be booked out for a private party.
Sport & Athletics
- Gracie Barra Newcastle City – How about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and games for a birthday party, Kids will learn self defense techniques and fitness exercises.
- Football Five5 – For your football fan, a football party will be ideal.
- Fun4Sports – hosts sporty birthday parties at you home or a local park offering a sport, cricket, football, netball and oztag.
- The Parc (formerly Howzat Newcastle) – Choose from sporty birthday parties (netball, soccer, beach volleyball, cricket, basketball, ﬂoorball, dodge ball and t-ball)
- Hunter Sports Centre – Get sporty with a party in a gymnasium
- Hunter Ice Skating Stadium – Have a cool ice skating party.
- Lake Macquarie Tennis Centre – With racquets and balls supplied, kids can have fun hitting tennis balls and playing fun games.
- Newcastle Supa Putt – So much fun playing mini golf for a birthday party.
- Newcastle Surf School – offers surfing birthday parties.
- Pulse Climbing – get kids climbing with a birthday party at an indoor climbing facility.
- Toboggan Hill Park – Choose from a variety of packages including toboggan rides, mini golf, hot ice skating and giant maze.
- Treetop Adventure Park – Enjoy a birthday party climbing in the trees.
- Glamour Girls – offers three different glam parties in the comfort of your own home.
- Ziggetty Snipits – A ‘glama’ party for your princess and her friends to discuss hairstyles, makeup and nails
Trains, Planes and Automobiles
- Broadmeadow Go Karts Go – offers birthday parties for those under 14.
- Edgeworth Trains party – organise your own train party on the last Sunday of the month (excluding December).
- Have a plane-themed party at Rathmines Park, home of the historical RAAF Catalina base. The play equipment there is all plane-themed.
- Walka Trains – enjoy a birthday party at the scenic Walka Water Works and enjoy a miniature train ride every Sunday.
- Blackbutt Reserve at Carnley Avenue – Hire a shelter and a private critter show for the kids.
- Blackbutt Reserve at Richley Reserve – A bit quieter than Carnley Avenue area, you can also hire shelters here.
- Newcastle Foreshore Park. This venue is a great wet weather venue with covered tramsheds and BBQ facilities.
- Islington Park – With a large playground, BBQs and lots of covered shelter, it’s a great spot for a party.
- Jesmond Park – With 2 playgrounds, a frisbee golf course and BBQ area, it’s ideal for a birthday party.
- Grab some buckets, spades and headlamps and have a mining-themed party at Blue Gum Hills Regional Park in Minmi.
- King Edward Park – With a grand rotunda and plenty of grass and a playground, this is a popular spot for birthday parties.
- Lambton Park – WIth additional playground equipment and BBQ facilities, this is a favoured spot for birthday parties.
- Maitland Park – A fenced all-abilities playground with plenty of picnic tables makes it ideal for celebrations.
- Speers Point Park – this massive park is fun for all with plenty of shelters. Just keep an eye on kids as it can get really busy on weekends.
- Wickham Park – A large climbing structure, a flying fox and even a boat makes Wickham Park a fun playground for kids.
Venue / Hall Hire
There are some great local halls and venues that you can rent quite inexpensively.
- Lake Macquarie City Council also have community halls for hire, some suitable for a birthday party.
- Newcastle City Council has community centres and halls available to rent. Henderson Park Hall and Carrington are inexpensive halls to rent for birthday parties.
- Maitland City Council has a wide range of community facilities available for hire.
- Belmont Neighbourhood Centre is another great spot for a kids birthday party.
- The Place: Charlestown Community Centre has different sized rooms to hire for birthday parties.
- Sydney Junction Hotel in Hamilton offers a venue for kids birthday parties and party packages.
- Argenton Hotel – Book a cabana hut and host a kids birthday party. With food platters and massive play equipment, this is a no-fuss party option. Here’s info on their parties.
- The Mattara in Charlestown – book a party room and arrange catering, balloons and lolly bags.
- McDonalds – Celebrate a birthday at Maccas.
- Hungry Jacks – offers two party themes – Fairy Girl and Pirate.
Expert Advice for Organising Parties
- Party Ideas in a Box – Local mum Mardi offers unique party kits for themed parties featuring pirate, construction, fairy and bushwalking themes. She stocks a wide range of party games and activities and even has pre-wrapped Pass the Parcels.
- The Socialite Events – Specialising in event organisation, local mum Karen can organise your child’s birthday party as well as provide hire items such as giant games and party props.
Need some ideas for party themes? Here’s a few that might appeal to your kids. Check out my Pinterest board for more birthday party ideas.
- Bushwalking Party – Read Mardi from Party Ideas in a Box’s blog post about organising a fun bush walking party for her son and his friends.
- Craft Party – Set out a variety of art & craft supplies on tables and have a DIY art and craft party.
- Cupcake decorating party. Bake some cupcakes and let kids decorate their own cupcakes.
- Dinosaur Party – Let kids roar with dinosaur games and food.
- Dr Seuss Party – Find some striped white and red hats and some green eggs and ham.
- High Tea Birthday Party – Serve yummy treats and peppermint tea for a delightful party.
- Pirate Party – It’s fun and easy to organise a swashbuckling pirate party with walk the plank, hidden treasure hunt and a cake full of gold coins.
- Scavenger Hunt – Give each kid a list of things to collect and let them go search for them.
- Space Party – Blast off into outer space with a space party.
- Sports Carnival – Organise some outdoor sports and races like sack races, tug of war, egg and spoon races, etc.
- Spy Party – Arrange a fun party for secret agents with secret code names, disguises and “laser courses”.
- Star Wars Party – With light sabers, Jedis and , it’s sure to be an epic Star Wars birthday party.
- Superhero Party – Organise a superhero party where guests can dress as their their favourite superhero.
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a favourite with little ones and it’s easy to serve all of the favourite food he eats through.
If you need some help entertaining kids, here’s some local entertainers and attractions for a home or hall-based party.
- Bricks 4 Kidz – Enjoy a building party with a fun LEGO-themed birthday party.
- CrocStars – Reptiles to your door with appearances from crocs, pythons, turtles and lizards.
- Extreme Gaming – Mobile video gaming theatre which comes to your door
- JD’s World of Magic – Magician Joel Howlett puts on an entertaining show for both parents and kids.
- Kids on Congas – Drum up some fun with a high-energy drumming birthday party.
- Little Scallywagz Kids Party Express specialise in princess and pirate parties.
- Newcastle Amusement Hire rent jumping castles, inflatables, fairy floss machines and lots of other things to make your party special.
- Novacastles have a range of jumping castles for hire as well as fairy floss, popcorn and snow cone machines.
- Party Star Entertainment have a range of party themes including art and craft parties, gardening parties, mad scientist parties as well as pueppets, facepainting and jumping castles.
- Penny’s Ponies – Organise pony rides for your birthday party
- Pixieland Parties – Offer clowns, fairies, princesses as well as bubbles, games, face painting and balloon animals.
- Ruby the Clown – Presents face painting, balloon animals, puppet shows and discos.
- Ship O Fools Clowne Troupe – There’s lots of clowning around with juggling, magic tricks and games.
- Sprinkles Parties – Provides entertainers for children’s parties including Disney characters, Alice in Wonderland, Barbie and Ken, pirates and clowns.
Where’s your favourite venue for local parties? What’s your favourite party activity or theme?
Subscribe to The Mummy Project Newsletter and get information about family events and activities straight to your inbox. Plus, receive a copy of my e-book ’10 Free & Low Cost Things to Do In Newcastle & The Hunter with Kids’